Friday, January 27, 2023

(Painting the) Block Party

First, here's the block from the sky (thanks, BG Boyd Photography!):
It was the morning of October 22, 2022. Living Streets Alliance and Tucson's Department of Transportation and Mobility hosted the 6th Avenue Block Painting Party, or the Fiesta en la Calle Para Pintar la Sexta Avenida (there were signs for both).

Start of the day

The day started early with lots of volunteers and staff setting up. Artist Yu Yu Shiratori painted outlines on the street for people to paint. I stopped by at 8:45 AM. That turned out to be too early to see many people painting, but it let me get some photos. (I'm really short on time today, so I'm not editing the photos to look their best.)

I headed home a while after 9 AM. (I just missed crossing paths with drone videographer/photographer BG Boyd, who I've never met but have collaborated with a lot online… you've seen his work on this blog plenty of times.)

Mid-day

I wondered when the painting would be nearly finished, and I guessed 11:45 AM. The party wasn't over, but it was wrapping up.

Street murals tend to fade pretty quickly, so see these when you can! (I hope the planters will live for a long time…)

No comments: