Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Downtown Culture

Teatro Carmen
380 S. Meyer Avenue in downtown Tucson.

Artist: Martín Moreno Title: Untitled


Update by Jerry (July 3, 2024): This mural is actually just south of the main Teatro Carmen building (which has an arch over the entrance). The address on the door in the middle of this mural is 384 (South Meyer Avenue).

Here's a photo from Google Maps Street View in April, 2022:



Update by Jerry (July 13, 2024): A comment from Claire says: “I noticed on February 13, 2024, that this mural is now painted over.” I walked by today; the mural is gone. But there's a new mural by Danny Martin at the arched main entrance to the theatre, just north.

2 comments:

Claire said...

I noticed on February 13, 2024, that this mural is now painted over. Are there any plans to replace or replicate the previous mural?

Jerry Peek said...

I'm sorry I haven't answered before today, Claire. I don't have the latest info, but this Tucson Weekly article from July 15, 2021, says "The theater won't be up and running any time soon." and "
"This is a multimillion-dollar project," [Herb Stratford] says, with an estimated price tag of $5.5 million. "It's probably a two- to three-year project."

I haven't had a chance to do any more hunting now... we've got over 100 murals to track down! I'll add this to a list of locations that we'll watch for new murals and etc.

Thanks,
Jerry