Friday, November 17, 2017

Parking lot morphs into cracked earth


This mural, on the south side of a parking lot next to the fading mural on the former Access Tucson building, was painted sometime earlier this year. It doesn't seem to be signed. I like the way that the paved parking lot (at the bottom of the photo above) becomes cracked earth. (You can click on the photo for a larger view.) Kikie Wilkins (click there to visit his website) sent the photo above on November 5th. He wrote:
[This photo,] at the Wavelab Studios, I don’t know what the actual title of this mural is, nor do I know who painted it. I figured it looked like Salvador Duran, so that’s what I went with. A friend of mine, Jake Sullivan (who owns Wooden Tooth Records on 4th, and who has played with Salvador) told me it was kind of funny and it would be a Sal thing to do to paint a mural of himself. I don’t know how much of a tongue-in-cheek thing this would be; I’ve only met Salvador a couple of times. I would think one of the guys at that Wavelab Studio building would know a lot more.
I'll try to catch up with someone at Wavelab Studios. If you know any part of the story, please leave a comment below. (You can remain anonymous.)

The mural is so wide that it's hard to photograph all at once. Here are a couple of close-ups from Mark Fleming. The first looks to me like the left end of the mural:

Mark Fleming took these photos on May 27th or so. He suggests that maybe the mural was commissioned by the people in the building behind who share a wall with the mural, Wavelab Recording Studios.

This is the first of three sets of Mark's photos. You can see the others in the next two blog entries.

Update (July 30, 2019): Cactus Catz posted a comment saying that the artist is Diego Roa. Today's blog entry includes a photo of the man in this mural, Salvador Duran. Here he is — in front of his mural in the Lost Barrio:

2 comments:

MNL (cactus catz) said...

I think he looks a lot like the sensei in original Karate Kid played by Pat Morita

MNL (cactus catz) said...

I found out quite a bit about the artist. Just go to my post. I don't know what you need. There's a video of him doing the Wavelab photo, his facebook link and images of a couple of his other murals

http://cactuscatz.com/photography-mine/diegos-mural-on-wavelab-recording-studio-downtown-tucson/