Thursday, June 09, 2022

Mural mystery tours: StemAZing

A traditional mural tour has a photo of each mural along the route. The STEMAZING Tucson mural tours have a fun twist: photos that show the area around the mural, but with the mural itself blanked out. For example:
The photos come from Google Street View. The Director of The STEMAZING Project, in the the Pima County School Superintendent's Office, is DaNel Hogan (click there to read about her). She sent me the story of the project:
I spend quite a lot of time putting the Tucson Mural Quest together for a workshop for teachers we did called STEM Quest: A Colorful Exploration of Perception. As we have so many and a growing number of murals in Tucson, it already needs updating. I have really focused on what I call the walkable zone – the murals on 4th Ave and Downtown Tucson. I need to add a few more I missed but there are over 60 murals along about a five mile walk, as I am sure you know. … I call mine the only “no spoilers” mural guide. I am planning to add mural keys to each one when I get a chance. These are close up images of a piece of the mural so folks can be even more certain they have found the right one.
Here's a link to the Tucson Mural Quest page:

    https://stemazing.org/mural-quest/

(STEM stands for “Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.”) Happy hunting!

No comments: